USA In Control of Davis Cup

VIENNA, Austria (Ticker) -- The United States Davis Cup title defense is off to a good start. Both Andy Roddick and James Blake won their opening match on Friday to give the Americans a commanding 2-0 lead over Austria in the first round of World Group play.
The U.S. tandem of Bob and Mike Bryan can clinch the best-of-five tie on Saturday with a win over Jurgen Melzer and Julian Knowle in doubles play. Friday's victories on the clay courts in Vienna were anything but easy for the Americans. Roddick was challenged by Melzer for four hours and six minutes before finally claiming a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, 6-7(4), 6-3 victory. "I said all week that it was going to be my toughest match against Jurgen so I was not surprised," said Roddick, who improved to 7-0 all-time against the world No. 57. "Fortunately, I was physically fit enough to go into a fifth set." Facing Stefan Koubek, Blake dropped the opening set and was trailing 5-4 in the second before rallying for a 5-7, 7-5, 6-2, 6-2 triumph.
