Shaq Ready for Another Title Run

PHOENIX (Ticker) -- Shaquille O'Neal declared himself the missing piece to the Phoenix Suns' puzzle Thursday, setting his sights on nothing short of winning another NBA title. The Suns traded for O'Neal on Wednesday, sending star forward Shawn Marion and guard Marcus Banks to Miami to land the 14-time All-Star in a deal they hope will yield the first championship in franchise history.
O'Neal addressed the media Thursday for the first time since the blockbuster trade, claiming that he is "excited" to join the first-place Suns. "This team has been there in the Western Conference and they just couldn't get over the hump," O'Neal said. "I think with my experience and with my on- and off-court leadership, I can help them get over that hump." O'Neal certainly changes the look of the Suns' lineup, giving them a true center and allowing Amare Stoudemire to shift to power forward. It will be a drastic change in philosophy and style for the fast-paced Suns, who have utilized an up-tempo offense led by two-time MVP Steve Nash to become the NBA's highest-scoring team over the last four seasons.
But despite winning the Pacific Division each of the last three seasons, the Suns have failed to advance beyond the conference finals, losing twice to the methodical but efficient San Antonio Spurs over that stretch. "(Phoenix) is already a good team," O'Neal said. "But they have certain matchup problems with certain teams, teams that have always surpassed them to get to the next level. "But I think with the addition of me, we match up pretty well with whoever we're going to face." Still, the trade raised eyebrows throughout the NBA, with many questioning how the aging O'Neal will fit into the run-and-gun Suns system. But O'Neal, who turns 36 next month, believes he is the perfect fit. "I've been hearing a lot of, 'He can't run and he can't do this'," he said. "You're going to be very surprised. When the team runs you need someone who can ignite the break, and I'm going to be igniting the break, getting the rebounds and letting Nash and everybody do what they do."
Suns general manager Steve Kerr acknowledged that he has taken a chance by dealing for O'Neal. "A lot of people have been talking in the last couple of days about what a gamble this is," Kerr said. "I think after walking into our locker room last night and seeing that reaction from Shaquille, it told me all I needed to know and all that Mike needs to know that this is a gamble that is well worth taking."
