Monday, December 10

Chargers & Others Injured in the NFL


SAN DIEGO (Ticker) - San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman and quarterback Philip Rivers were among the players hurt in an injury-filled contest against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday.

Rivers strained a ligament in his left knee in the second quarter but returned to thrown two touchdown passes in the final eight minutes of regulation as the Chargers rallied from a 14-point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat the Titans in overtime, 23-17. The injury occurred when Rivers got his foot got caught in the turf while making a pitch to LaDainian Tomlinson. Rivers sat out the last 11 minutes of the first half but returned for the third quarter. He said he expects to play next week against the Detroit Lions.

Merriman injured his left knee in the third quarter and did not return. The Pro Bowl linebacker said it's too early to determine the severity of the injury. "I'll have to find out what they say in a few days," Merriman said. "I'll just take it slow."

Chargers fullback Lorenzo Neal, the blocking back for Tomlinson, also suffered a fractured fibula in the game.

Merriman was involved in a bit of controversy when he collided with Titans quarterback Vince Young following a handoff. Young was knocked to the turf and removed from the game. Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher said Young's ribs were sore, but X-rays were negative. "(Tennessee) was a dirty team," Merriman said. "I ran into Vince (Young). It wasn't anything intentional, and the crowd reacted and wanted a lot more than what happened. I really pulled up on him. I know him very well and he knows I wouldn't do anything like that. I wish no injury on anybody."

Arizona Cardinals tight end Leonard Pope had his season come to an end when he suffered a dislocated right ankle in a 42-21 loss to the Seattle Seahawks. Pope was taken from the field on a cart with 2:05 to play in the third quarter. The second-year tight end had 26 catches and five touchdowns on the season.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Trent Dilfer suffered a concussion in the team's 27-7 loss to the Minnesota Vikings. Dilfer got hit in the head on a scramble attempt just before halftime and stayed down on the turf for a few moments before being helped off the field. He was replaced by Shaun Hill. Starting for the injured Alex Smith, Dilfer was sent to Stanford Hospital for further evaluation. "My heart and prayers go out to Trent," Hill said. "Trent is just a warrior, one of the best guys I've ever met in the game or out of the game."

Defensive tackle Marcus Stroud left the Jacksonville Jaguars' 37-6 victory over the Carolina Panthers with what the team called a sprained ankle. Playing for the first time following a four-game suspension for violating the league's steroids and related drugs policy, Stroud was injured on the first play of scrimmage in the second half during a scramble to recover a fumble.