SoCal Stanley Cup Playoff Preview

Dallas at Anaheim, 7:00 pm, Versus, FSNPT
Western Conference quarterfinals
Stars lead, 1-0
ANAHEIM, California (Ticker) - Marty Turco and the Dallas Stars were not intimidated by the defending Stanley Cup champions. The Stars look to take a two-games-to-none lead in the Western Conference quarterfinals when they visit the Anaheim Ducks for Game Two on Saturday.
Turco stopped all 23 shots he faced for his fourth career postseason shutout, leading the fifth-seeded Stars to a 4-0 victory over the Ducks during Game One on Thursday. Captain Brenden Morrow had a goal and two assists and Steve Ott, Loui Eriksson and Jere Lehtinen also tallied for Dallas, which scored all four of its goals with a man advantage. "Our power play definitely (on Thursday) was a difference-maker, along with Marty Turco," Ott said. "Early in the game, (he) made some extremely key saves and we kind of responded from there on." "We can't expect that out of our power play every night," Stars defenseman Philippe Boucher said. "It was nice to see, we know how important it is, but just as important, we didn't have to kill too many. We know how great their power play can be. ... The more we can stay away from giving them those opportunities, the better for us."
Dallas, which has been ousted in the conference quarterfinals each of the last three seasons, appeared determined to break that slump, outshooting the Ducks, 37-23, while setting a franchise playoff record with four power play goals on seven opportunities. Goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere blamed Anaheim's dismal performance on the team's mental preparation. "Mentally, I guess we weren't ready," he said. "We have to be stronger mentally. There's going to be goals against, I can guarantee you that, it's not because I want to give goals. I've tried and I've tried, and it seems that every once in a while, it goes in. There's nothing I can do about that."

