Tuesday, March 4

NHL Star Crosby to Return to Ice on Tuesday


PITTSBURGH (Ticker) -- Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby, who has missed the last 21 games with a high ankle sprain, is expected to return to the lineup Tuesday, according to a published report. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Crosby will play Tuesday against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

"It's been a while, so I'm looking forward to it," Crosby told the newspaper. "I wasn't expecting anything. I was skating (in Pittsburgh) last week and it started to feel better. It's pretty strong right now. I figure it's time." Penguins coach Michel Therrien indicated the team will take a cautious approach with the center. "We'll manage his ice time," Therrien said. "He said he was feeling great, but he hasn't played for a long time so he is going to trust me and the way I will manage him on the ice."

The Penguins went 11-6-4 without the reigning Hart Trophy winner, moving into first place in the Atlantic Division. Pittsburgh (37-23-7) has 81 points, tied with Montreal atop the Eastern Conference. Ironically, Crosby was injured against the Lightning on January 18 when when he slid feet first into the boards. Crosby, 20, was tied for the league lead in scoring at the time of his injury. The Nova Scotia native has registered 20 goals and 63 points in 46 games.

Crosby was the leading vote-getter in All-Star voting for the second straight year. However, he missed the contest in January due to his injury. Defenseman Ryan Whitney, who has missed the last two games with a back injury, also is expected to return to the lineup Tuesday.