Sunday, February 17

USA Hopes High For Cross Country

SAN DIEGO (Ticker) -- Team USA has a great chance of making an impact at next month's IAAF world cross country championships, according to newly crowned national champion Dathan Ritzenhein.

Both Ritzenhein, 25, and women's champion Shalane Flanagan, 26, dominated their respective races around Mission Bay Park on Saturday. But the new men's champion feels the pedigree of the top nine finishers in his 12-kilometer championship will not let their country down on the world stage in Edinburgh, Scotland on March 30. "This field was incredible, with a lot of guys who have been national champions, All-Americans and Olympians," Ritzenhein said. "We could have one hell of a team for Edinburgh." Ritzenhein already has punched his ticket to Beijing for this August's Olympic Games by finishing second in the U.S. men's marathon trials in New York last November. He added a trip to Scotland to his schedule with a convincing win in 35 minutes, 3 seconds - 26 seconds ahead of former University of Colorado teammate Jorge Torres. "I really didn't expect to pull away by this much," Ritzenhein said. "When I noticed a bit of a hesitation from the field, I decided to go ahead and go. I liked the course. It reminded me of racing on a golf course. I just kept pressing until the last 400 meters."

Flanagan was also rewarded for dictating the pattern of the race, as she won the women's championship by a 70-second margin over Renee Metivier Bailie in 25:26. Flanagan credited her aggression and a recent altitude training camp in Mexico for her win on a warm day in San Diego, and said it was a boost for her Olympic ambitions. "I think that training at altitude agrees with me," Flanagan said. "I'm excited to start the season with a win. This course played to my strength. If we get conditions like this every time at nationals, you can bet that I'll be coming every year. "I was within myself, but I stayed aggressive the entire race. I needed to practice that mental toughness for Beijing. The thought of Beijing is constantly on my mind."