Matteson Leads Buick

By John Reger
SportsTicker Contributing Writer
LA JOLLA, California (Ticker) -- Troy Matteson owns a one-stroke lead entering Friday's second round of the $5.2 Buick Invitational. While most of the low scores in Thursday's opening round were on the North Course at Torrey Pines Golf Course, Matteson fired a 7-under-par 65 on the South Course to pull ahead of Brad Adamonis.
Matteson found the course - this year's U.S. Open site - much to his liking, holing eight birdies against only one bogey. "I played the South Course earlier this week and didn't break par either day I played it," said Matteson, who hit 11 of 14 fairways. "For the Open it's going to be tough. I know I missed a few fairways." So did Tiger Woods, who managed to hit only seven of 14 fairways and was relieved to card a 67 on the South, putting him two shots back.
Playing in his first tournament of the season, Woods did not take long to get his bearings. He made a birdie on the fourth hole en route to a front-nine 34 despite trouble with his driver. "It was a little bit of a test out there," Woods said. "Just had to keep patient, you know, get the ball on the green and make a putt."
Woods, the three-time defending champion, is tied with Rory Sabbatini, Stuart Appleby and Kevin Streelman at 67. The South Course scoring averaged 74.01 strokes; the North Course was 71.68. m a shot.
