Wednesday, December 12

Ten Best Bowl Matchups of 2007

By Lee Andrew Henderson
Associated Content
One of the craziest college football regular seasons has come to an end and it's time for the bowl season. A lot of people think there are way too many bowl games but I enjoy the bowl games. Every year there are boring games but every year there are interesting games too. These are the 10 bowl games that are most interesting in the 2007 season.

10. Poinsettia Bowl - Navy vs. Utah
What can I say? I like it when Navy makes it to a bowl game. Even if Navy isn't as relevant as they used to be it is still good to see them doing well. Utah will be a tough matchup for them because Utah has been a very well coached team and has been very successful in bowl games.

9. Liberty Bowl - UCF vs. Mississippi State
In Kevin Smith, Central Florida has one of those players that nobody ever hears about during the regular season even though he leads the nation in rushing. Meanwhile, with all the good teams in the SEC, Mississippi State got overlooked this season but Sylvester Croom is starting to turn around that program.

8. Holliday Bowl - Arizona State vs. Texas
Honestly I'm not sure that either Arizona State or Texas is as good as people thought they would be but I always like to see two BCS schools facing off against each other for the first time.

7. Alamo Bowl - Texas A&M vs. Penn State
Neither Texas A&M or Penn State were National Champion contenders or anything but I think it is a pretty even matchup between two BCS schools.

6. Sun Bowl - South Florida vs. Oregon
South Florida and Oregon were both National Champion contenders at one point in the season and both had a very rough ending to their season. It will be interesting to see which team can actually redeem the season a little bit with a win.

5. Independence Bowl - Colorado vs. Alabama
This is a totally biased pick. Colorado is actually my second favorite team and I hate Alabama, mainly because I live there and both the Alabama and Auburn fans annoy me. I'm hoping Colorado destroys Alabama and half the state is depressed for the next year because Nick Saban's first season ended with a worse record than last season.

4. Texas Bowl - Houston vs. TCU
I know I'm probably one of the few people looking forward to this game but I enjoy a little history in my bowl games and TCU and Houston have it. The two Texas neighbors actually used to play each other and the series is actually pretty even with Houston winning 13 times and TCU winning 11.

3. Sugar Bowl - Georgia vs. Hawaii
Boise State proved last year that a team not from a major conference can compete and Hawaii is trying to prove the same thing this year. I know a lot of people are looking for Hawaii to pull the upset but I don't see it happening. Colt Brennan is a great quarterback but Georgia has seen great quarterbacks before, Hawaii hasn't seen teams like Georgia before. It should be an entertaining game though.

2. Capital One Bowl - Florida vs. Michigan
A lot of people hate bowl games because of all the boring games. Why does everyone have to be so pessimistic? The bowl games might give us Ball State vs. Rutgers but without bowl games we'd never get to see Florida and Michigan. Despite both playing for over 100 years they've only faced each other once before, in another bowl game.

1. BCS National Championship Game - Ohio State vs. LSU
This game is every thing I want in a bowl game. Two top programs, they've only faced each other twice before and obviously there is more on the line in this game than any other game since it decides the National Champion.